CONTACT:

mhkilmore@yahoo.com

14/03/2017

Fairy Wrens

FAIRY WRENS DRY AUTUMN

 
The birds around Kilmore are very quiet at the moment . Those that are about move very quickly and are hard to photograph.

I am seeing thornbills and a number of honeyeaters in my garden. The watering spots must be drying up because these birds are in and about  a small bird bath, standing amongst my tomato bushes. But they are very wary. The doors in my house squeak so it is very difficult to sneak out and catch them bathing. It is a little easier to catch them in the bush. There is more cover for me and the birds are in their own home patch. They seem more comfortable there than in the environment of my garden.







I tried a new spot yesterday. Moore's Lane. It peters out at the bottom of a deep gully. Through a gateway, along a dried up creek bed is a small area of furze, chinese scrub, spiny rushes and old black wattles . Dotted here and there are cotoneaster  shrubs, heavily laden with fruit.




Here I found a number of what my brother-in-law Tom, calls LBBs, little brown birds. They were very busy. I counted thorn bills, fairy wrens, red-browed finches, yellow faced honeyeaters, a young shrike thrush, a lone scarlet robin,  magpies, blackbirds, a rufous whistler, all in this small patch. Floating above was a wedge tailed eagle, being teased by a magpie.




It was a great little spot.

Whilst I was standing quietly, the finches were hopping around in the grass, when a sparrow hawk swooped down upon them. The long grass spoiled his aim and he flew off empty clawed. This happened about five metres from where I was watching under a tree. It was a pity the camera was pointing at the ground.




No comments: