CONTACT:

mhkilmore@yahoo.com

28/01/2017

Eastern Spine Bill?

SOME SURPRISING VISITORS

 

It has been reasonably benign summer, a few hot days with cooler mild days in between. There was a great deal of rain early on which gave us huge plant growth, in places along the Dry Creek at Kilmore East, the grass is standing well over my head.

The trees have been, and still are, laden with blossom, so there has been plenty of food for the parrots and honey eaters.

I found this little one peeping at me from the bushes, late one hot evening. It was in and out of a bowl of water, having a good wash and drink. The photographs are poor but they show the bright blue honey sucker beak and matching blue legs. The colours too are quite striking.

I am not sure who he or she is? Nor are others from Kilmore who know their birds.

Could it be a young Scarlet Honeyeater (Myzomela  sanguinolenta)? Perhaps, my books shows them as living inn this area.

 Could it be a Dusky Honeyeater (Myzomela erythrocephala)?  I think not, they are a Queensland bird.

Aaah! But  I think it may be a female or a young Eastern Spine bill.

I'll keep my eyes open for another evening visit.






No comments: