CONTACT:

mhkilmore@yahoo.com

17/11/2019

Brown-headed Honeyeater

BROWN-HEADED HONEYEATER  Melithreptus brevirostris

 

On the road between Kilmore and Sugarloaf Creek; the beautifully named Nanny's Creek Road; the road widens to leave a small treed area where the concrete bridge crosses the creek.

The bridge spans the small and often dry, Nanny Creek. I have no idea who Nanny was. Our old books give me  no information. An early mid-wife perhaps!

 

This area is populated by large numbers of fairy martins, pardalotes. and numbers of various honeyeaters.

It is a good spot to visit, there is always something to see.

Last  Friday I noticed a number of small birds I had not seen or noticed, before. 

 

Bigger than the resident pardalotes, these brown headed birds had an olive sheen to their backs. Each had a brown head and cheek, with a white stripe behind the eye. The eye patch was a creamy yellow colour on the adult birds. What I took to be the younger birds had a paler, bluish eye patch. 

 The books tell me, Brown-headed honeyeaters are reasonably common bird to this area, but it was a new sighting for me.





No comments: