CONTACT:

mhkilmore@yahoo.com

09/11/2017

Yellow-faced Honeyeaters

YELLOW-FACED HONEYEATERS Caligavis chrysops




Out at Kilmore East on the beautifully named 'Nanny's Creek Road,  I was watching  a family of pardalotes. I was hoping I might find a nest or two in the creek bank.

I was so busy watching, it took a few moments for me to hear the commotion coming from a tall white gum behind me.



This old tree contained a lot of mistletoe, hanging in large clumps. When our children were young we would hang a branch above the fire place as a Christmas tree.

Today the  mistletoe was in full flower, large red flowers and a family of Yellow-faced Honeyeaters were very busy amongst them.

They seemed very happy with themselves, like a lot of noisy children at a birthday party.I have heard these birds called quitchups which must come from  sound of their calls

 





The name chrysops comes from two old Greek words, gold and face; very appropriate. 


No comments: