CONTACT:

mhkilmore@yahoo.com

03/12/2019

White-winged Triller

WHITE-WINGED TRILLER  Lalage tricolor

It is always exciting to find a new bird in one's area.


I first saw this pair on the open area around Lake Eppalock. I was watching from a distance and they seemed quite small, just a little larger than sparrows.


I have since seen them, White-winged Trillers, several times. I have seen them around the ford on Jeffrey's Lane at Broadford. I have seen them around the Kilmore Golf Course reservoir and today along Dry Creek on O'Grady's Road at Kilmore East.They are well established  around the area at the moment.



Each time I have seen them, there has been a pair, a male and female. The male is very much like a magpie lark in colour, just little smaller.



He has a beautiful pied plumage, deep black and vivid white. The females are also beautifully coloured, with a range of browns from pale beige to deep brown. There is a strong pale to white edge to their wing feathers.






 

No comments: