CONTACT:

mhkilmore@yahoo.com

17/11/2017

Striated Pardalotes

STRIATED PARDALOTES Pardolotus striatus

A Puzzle!

There are always pardalotes around the bridge on Nanny Creek Road, Kilmore East.

In late Spring there are many pairs, very busy flying around between the creek, the trees and the bridge. I can see with insects and spiders in their beaks but nowhere can I see nest burrows. I know they will also build nests in tree hollows and around buildings but they are so very busy around the concrete bridge which spans the creek. But I can see no signs anywhere of nests anywhere.

In the same area I have seen fairy martins, not so many recently, but over winter quite a few.Under the bridge there are plenty of signs of their presence, lots of beautiful mud nests with large piles of droppings underneath. Obviously the martins have been nesting here over a number of years.



Last week, I was sitting under the bridge hoping to photograph the martins returning to their nests. I sat for almost an hour but there was no movement. As I got up to leave, I could hear the squeaking of chicks in a nest. Something was not at home. I couldn't see any martins, just the pardalotes.

Could the pardalotes be nesting in the martin nests?The entrances almost look like the tunnel entrance of the holes in the banks they usually occupy.






I need another expedition to see what's what.










.



No comments: