CONTACT:

mhkilmore@yahoo.com

03/03/2018

Kingfishers

SACRED KINGFISHER Todiramphus sanctus


 I saw several kingfishers this morning in the Goldie Nature Reserve towards Lancefield.


 It is a very dry area of land, thickly timbered with plenty of fallen trees, dry branches and brittle grass. There are a few birds in the area, the trees are probably a little dense for a larger variety.






I was surprised to see several of these kingfishers, because the area is very dry, no creeks or waterways nearby. Each of he birds would sit on a branch before dropping down to pick something to eat from amongst the twigs and sticks. I could not see what they were gathering but I did see a number of small lizards amongst the litter.










The birds were bigger than ones I have seen around the Kilmore Hospital Reservoir and with different markings. I think those smaller ones were Forest Kingfishers. These larger birds today I think are the Sacred Kingfisher.





 

 

No comments: